Wednesday, October 24, 2012



INTERPERSONAL ISSUES IN MIDLIFE MARRIAGE
     This week I want to address the concept of “midlife crisis”.  As you know I have been researching issues in midlife marriage.  Several of you have mentioned the midlife crisis as if this were something to be expected in the midlife marriage. Personally I believe from my readings that the “midlife crisis” is, for the most part, a myth. I did some direct research this week on the idea of midlife crisis and this is what I found.
     First of all, it surprised me that when I searched the Albertsons Library database for “midlife crisis”, the most recent articles were from 2009. Many of the articles dealt with other types of midlife crisis in some type of commerce, industry or profession, e.g.” burn out” in nursing for example. This was not the type of midlife crisis I wanted to learn about. The type of midlife crisis that most of us think about is the 49 year old male that suddenly feels compelled to buy a new sports car, have a fling with a younger woman, maybe goes on a dream vacation with or without his wife of twenty years, gets new a new hair style and maybe a different job. However, think of this scenario again with the guy as a 29 year old.  The 29 year old buys a sports car, has a fling with a 29 year old woman and takes a dream vacation, etc. Would this be considered a “crisis”? Why do we have certain expectations for different ages? I do not believe it necessarily constitutes a “crisis” to behave like this at 49. Maybe men always prefer younger women. Maybe women prefer younger men also?
     Sue Shellenbarger, a columnist for the Wall Street Journal, made light of the midlife crisis idea in an article she wrote for a “Work and Family” column. She received the most responses she has ever received. Her readers were telling her of their own experiences of “pain, upheaval, rebirth and transformation in middle age…a time when old values and goals no longer made sense to them”.  After this response, Sue Shellenbarger wrote a book entitled, “The Breaking Point: How Female Midlife Crisis is Transforming Today’s Women”. She claims, “The midlife crisis is a cliché—until you have one.”  During the past 15-20 years, a majority of women have entered the workforce and their earnings have risen dramatically. A female midlife crisis is now more of a possibility. Women today have the finances, education and confidence to resolve frustrations they have in their lives.
     According to Sue Shellenbarger’s article, women and men have different reasons for triggering a midlife crisis. Men most often begin their midlife crisis because of work or career issues. Women most likely begin a midlife crisis because of a family issue, such as a divorce, affair, death of a parent, or feeling you have not been a good parent yourself. Women also handle the midlife crisis differently. Women will talk with others about it, and seek solutions in the community through college enrollment and/or more church attendance.
     The most relevant, serious article I found on “midlife crisis” was one titled, “Midlife Crisis: A Debate” (2009). This article took the position of three different concepts of midlife crisis:  a strict, moderate or lenient concept. I agree with the lenient concept of midlife crisis; but let me tell you what each one is.
     The strict definition says that most people in midlife have a crisis period and “will feel less fulfilled…than they thought they would…even if they have reached the goals they set for themselves when they were younger” (p. 586). The moderate definition includes middle adulthood as challenging phase of life, but not necessarily a crisis except for possibly the most vulnerable, neurotic people. It is a time to assess old goals, and set new goals. This process of letting go of old goals and making new ones may be felt as positive and liberating. Most importantly, the strict and moderate concepts of midlife crisis have not found to be empirically reported. 
     Finally, the lenient concept of midlife crisis does not see the concept of midlife crisis as normal. The lenient concept does view this time of life as having “age-associated challenges” (p. 589), as does every phase of life.  These challenges include evaluating accomplishments, and a different time perspective to life choices, but still with hope and positive emotion. In data from a MIDUS study on age, said that “middle adulthood might actually be a peak phase in life” (p. 588). The study also reported that adults age 65 – 84 years “preferred middle adulthood over any other phase in the life span” (p. 588).
     I tend to agree with the lenient concept of midlife crisis. This also goes along with the other research I have been doing this semester for this class. Adults at middle age do have unique, important challenges and changes that come with this time of life, but these do not necessarily have to be defined as a “crisis”. A crisis can happen at any time in life. For the most part, and for most people, midlife is a time of transition into a new stage of life, but not a crisis.

Freund, A. M. & Ritter, J. O. (2009). Midlife crisis: A debate. Gerontology. 55. 582-591
            Doi: 10.1159/000227322
Shellenbarger, S. (2005, April 7). The female midlife crisis; more women than men now               report unheaval by age 50; the ATV tipping point. The Wall Street Journal.  P.D.1
    
    

14 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nancy, I'm glad you decided to seek out some initial research on this topic. It's definitely a muddy one. First, I'm wondering how you defined "crisis" such that you dismissed the topic so readily. You seemed to think that crisis was about external indicators- cars, vacations- rather than internal reflection. Does the research similarly describe crisis as behavior, rather than internal questioning? Second, did the research change your mind? The first part of your blog seems to say "this is a myth" while the second half seems to say "okay, maybe it's not a myth." Am I reading this wrong?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. R. Thank you for your input. In general, the term "crisis" has such negative implications. The term "crisis" just doesn't seem to appropriately describe the majority of changes in this phase of life. In my research, midlife crisis has different levels of meaning depending on who you read. Levinson's strict definition of 'midlife crisis' it is a troublesome transition from early to middle adulthood,it is "normative, and bound to a specific age range"(p 585). According to the article in Gerontology, this model has not been proven empirically to be a normal part of midlife. The lenient model says that some people "experience a difficult transition, but not all" (p585). The reason I side with the lenient theory is from my previous reading on midlife marriages. Some people may have a difficult time, but it is not the norm. I have been left with the idea that midlife has a lot to offer that other phases of life do not. But for me to put my finger on actual info right now, I'd have to skim through my prior reading. I will need to do this for my final paper.

      Delete
    2. Ah, interesting. Makes me think that this 'phase' has gotten a lot more media attention than is warranted by the research!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nancy,
    Interesting topic. I personally do not believe in the midlife crisis. I think life is full of conflict at every age. I do agree that some of the challenges are age related, but I think we are always re-evaluating and making new goals. I wonder if the man who buys a sports car and has an affair would have it at any age. He just happens to have the money to behave in such a way when he is older because he has established himself financially.
    You made a couple of claims in your blog that I would like further clarification on. You stated that more women are working now which means they are more likely to have a midlife crisis. Why? Later in your blog you stated that women are more likely to have crisis because of a family issue – so – how does work influence the crisis? You also mention that having money (for women) meant they would be able to handle the crisis more effectively. Why? How does money change the game?
    Do you think that we program our society to expect a midlife crisis through dialogue? Since we hear everyone talking about having a midlife crisis, we anticipate that it will happen to us. Therefore, if challenges arise in our middle years, we have a scapegoat and can call it a midlife crisis. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Nancy! Your blog is both interesting and foreign to me. The notion of a midlife crisis is nothing but a concept and something I have watched happen in countless films. Yet, it seems you might be prone to saying it isn’t quite as prevalent as we all might think. Even the statement, “midlife crisis” is commonly used in day to day to talk. One thing you talked about, which was very interesting to me, was the notion of a different expectation of time and life choices. In the middle of life, the chance to drastically change life can seem fleeting as my parents have told me. Perhaps this is the answer to the question you pose about a 29 year old and 49 year old. Society largely expects the 49 year old to have it figured out and be set in their ways, while someone in their late 20s seems to be encouraged to embrace a large amount of whimsy.

    A question or two for you. Do you think the expectation of mid-life crises could be more prevalent than their reality? I ask this because one of your researches said that most people enjoyed middle-adulthood more than other stages of their life. What does the expectation of mid-life crises and how we talk about them mean for midlife marriages?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Teresa,
    Good, I’m glad you agree with me. That is always nice.  My example of the 49 year old man buying a car, etc was to illustrate the same behavior can happen at another age and we don’t call it a “crisis”. So, why should we call it a crisis now? Just my point that “midlife crisis” is a myth. It’s just a theory that started in 1965, but became more popular in the late 1970’s with work Levinson did.

    Women working give them more financial freedom to make changes in work, trips, education, hobbies, etc. Working also gives women more confidence that they CAN do something outside of strict role models. These changes for women were not possible years ago when they were at the mercy of their husbands. The article on the midlife crisis debate said that family issues set women off onto a crisis more often, but work issues affected men. The article did not say why this is, but I believe it has to do with women still doing most of the care giving of family, more invested in family and thus, this being the kick starter for change in her life. Men on the other hand are driven mostly by career goals, work-related issues that can set them off on midlife crisis.

    Yes, you get my point that as a society we hear so often about “midlife crisis” that we come to expect some drastic happening during that time of life. I did get a tattoo when I was 47. Was this a crisis? No. And if it doesn’t happen, then, well, I guess I missed it. I guess I lucked out. That is why I think the phrase “crisis” is a myth and an exaggeration. Some changes do happen, but changes happen all throughout life. The changes are just different at different times of life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Teresa,

    Great Post!
    I really enjoyed it and I secretly look forward to having a midlife crisis because it seems like so much fun! You finally get your new sports car and new look and stuff!

    I totally agree with your research that it is not a crisis at all. In fact I think it should be a ‘midlife celebration’. From what I have seen from my friends and family in midlife is that at that point is finally when people have amassed the resources to have the things and live the life that they wanted to live when they were 29. If you notice, most people in this group would buy a 1960’s mustang—because that was what they wanted at that time and age (late twenties) and can finally afford it now. It should not be looked at as a bad thing. Well, if it causes people to have younger girlfriends when they are already married that may be a negative effect but the other things are totally fine I think.

    There are a lot of things I would like to have right now but it’s just not feasible to get them now because of so many constraints so why not get them when you have overcome some of those constraints!
    Thanks Teresa
    Mwamba

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Mwamba--yes, you got it! I like "midlife celebration" better! At midlife, finances are one thing that you probably have to worry less about. Also, you probably have chosen your mate, had your family, entering empty nest and looking forward to retirement and more free time now. Thanks.

      Delete
  9. You present some great questions Jared. You are a deep thinker. I think that “midlife crisis” is more a cliché’ than a fact of life and the name has negative associations. The term “crisis” implies disaster, catastrophe, calamity, or breaking point. You are correct in that I do not think a midlife crisis is as prevalent as we think it is and it should not be assumed to be a normal part of midlife or midlife marriages.

    You prove a point that I have, but I probably did not make it clear in my blog. You say that society expects the 49 year old to “be set in their ways”. Well, I do know that in researching the midlife marriage, this is a phase of life when people do decide to make changes if they want to, not to be “set in their ways” because they are beginning to see the end as a reality. So they decide to go ahead and do the whimsical hobby or job or vacation. What would be a better time?

    I love it that you picked up on the point that, according to MIDUS, people enjoy midlife the most of any stage of life. It can be a time of freedom from raising a family, career challenges and competition, responsibilities and a time of refreshed opportunities. Midlife marriages are affected by these changes in life and many marriages find a richer, deeper relationship as both individuals look to the future together.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nancy,

    It seems like you feel the "midlife crisis" is somewhat true. I'd like to know what rings true about it for you, and what you consider to be a "myth." Interesting read!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Christine.Yes, I do think midlife evaluations takes place--not that I would refer to it as a crisis. That word is just too strong I feel. The "crisis" is the myth. The article by Freund & Ritter points out several times, by referencing other researchers, that a strict or even moderate concept of midlife crisis is not supported by evidence nor empirically based. Personally, midlife has held for me an opportunity to evaluate what I still want to work on, what I want to do. I did get a tattoo when I was 46. I said that was my midlife crisis, but I was actually joking. There are certain situations in my own life that I would like to see change; and I intend to act on those desires over the next 1-3 years. But, I do not see any of these as a crisis, but as midlife developmental challenges to be dealt with.

    ReplyDelete