Wednesday, December 12, 2012



“Call it a hint of bigger [and better] things to come”
     --J. Bond

What is midlife marriage like? An overview

     I went to see the most recent James Bond movie, Skyfall, this weekend. It was a great movie, even though I am not a James Bond fan. Since I have been reading academic journals about midlife for the past four months, I noticed some age characterizations in the movie. Younger intelligence officers are encouraging M to retire; she’s the one in charge of the M16 intelligence department. M is probably on the upper end of the middle age phase of life, but she is not retired yet, so we’ll give her the benefit of the doubt about her age. The younger career focused people are chomping at the bit to take over the controls. The movie reinforced cultural misconceptions we have concerning middle age; as a time of relinquishing the keys, and letting go of some of the controls.

     Many aspects of midlife are just negative stereotypes that younger people use to make fun of the aging process. Well, news for you. We are all aging! Even my 21 year-old son, who went with me to see Skyfall.

     What does James Bond and M have to do with midlife marriage? Well, for starters they are both in midlife. I would say they both prove what respondents in a large national studies say about midlife as being possibly the best period in your life! A peak phase! Not many midlife crises here.  Another aspect of midlife that this movie reinforced was the desire to maintain control over aspects of life that are important to them. This is backed up by research done by Lachman and Weaver (1998).

An article in the Journal of Family Issues stated married midlife couples felt the empty nest was a positive experience, they had more time for personal growth, more time for quality marital and sexual relations (Woohoo!) and more leisure time. Rebuilding the marriage relationship in midlife is one of the tasks recognized as prominent for this stage of life. Studies have shown that, earlier in marriage, satisfaction slowly decreases when children come into the family. Let’s be honest; there is just more stress with crying babies, sleepless nights and diapers. Then along comes another child. I love children, especially my own, but life gets busy and studies show that marriage takes a beating. Early midlife encompasses the time when marital satisfaction hits the lowest level as the children are being launched into adulthood. But then marital satisfaction begins an upward trend as couples begin to reconnect, to recover the magic of being married and knowing someone intimately, and enjoy having stability in the relationship.

     Now women, listen up. Research shows that marital satisfaction for women is strongly related to high quality couple interaction. Positive communication works well.  It works five times better than negative comments. If you haven’t already, learn how to better resolve conflicts. Begin quiet conversations with your husband when you are both rested and relaxed. Just start talking positively and creatively. Keep the conversations going. Learn about your husband and tell him how you feel. There are still significant life issues ahead. Positive, thoughtful communication can help you as a couple master the challenges that lie ahead. It may even give a positive boost to your health!

Oh, and did I mention I’ve become a James Bond fan?

References:

Lachman, M. E. & Weaver, S. L., (1998). Sociodemographic variations in the sense of control by domain: Findings from the MacArthur studies of midlife. Psychology and Aging 13(4). 553-562.

Mitchell, B. A. & Lovegreen, L. D. (2009). The empty nest syndrome in midlife families. Journal of Family Issues 30(12). 1651-1670.

Schmitt, M., Kliegel, M. & Shapiro, A. (2007). Marital interaction in middle and old age: A predictor of marital satisfaction? International Journal on Aging and Human Development. 65(4). 283-300.

17 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nancy,
    I enjoyed your blog and I too, am a fan of James Bond. While I was reading your blog, I kept wondering what midlife is? Is it directed by calendar years or does it have something to do with intrapersonal beliefs? I have acquaintances who acted like they were going through midlife in their thirties and then I have others who are in the early sixties and they are still (in their opinion) are far from midlife. What do you think?
    You also talk about the stereotypes concerning midlife being driven by the young. Is there research to support your claim? I feel that the stereotypes are driven by our culture. Our society seems to favor the young and dismiss age and wisdom. How do you see this?
    The blog discussed that couples in midlife now have time to reconnect. A couple of things – 1. Why do couples fail to maintain that connection throughout their marriage? Is it impossible or do we just get lazy? 2. Are children the only reason we lose that connection? I would think that professions and jobs are a big impediment. So….does time = satisfaction?
    One final thought. We all like to think we are in control of our lives – no matter our age. So how is midlife any different? Are we being challenged by the young or are we choosing to let go so we can have some of that leisure time talked about earlier? And I think, that choosing to let go of some of the responsibility and rat race of life does not mean that an individual gives up control of their life.
    It has been good to interact with you. Have a Merry Christmas and I will see you around.
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Teresa. In my formal paper I wrote last week I addressed the issue of when midlife begins and ends. In the 20+ articles I read on midlife marriages, the researchers studied ages between 35-60 to 45-72 and a mix in-between. There is no set time frame. It also depends on who you ask the question. A younger person will say middle age is something like 35-55. An older person will say 45 to 74. I did read that midlife is the longest phase of life and it encompasses a large variety of changes and challenges. Early middle age looks different than late middle age. You enter midlife at the busiest time of your life with family, career, responsibilities, etc. You leave midlife much differently.

      I agree with you that age stereotypes are reinforced by all of our culture, not just younger people. I find myself making age-related jokes. Humor is good and helps us cope. There is a paradox in how we say we get wiser with age, but then we don't value older people's opinion. I read about this in one of the articles, but cannot find it at the moment. It said this one reason why research is so important. To understand our inconsistencies.

      Also, the majority of midlife marriages have children. This does put a strain on the marriage according to studies. Along with the other accumulating responsibilities that peak in midlife, it stresses to the max marital satisfaction. But after launching the kids, some of the load is lifted and couples begin to have a little more time for each other. And as we progress through midlife toward late midlife, we will tend to let go of a few more things and really concentrate on what is most important to us. Have a great Christmas!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also liked the James Bond reference. It was a timely reference and pulled the reader into your conversation - clever! I saw the film (which was excellent) and also caught the "aging" theme. I think both M and Bond were accused of being relics, and proved their critics wrong in the end. That idea connects well with your research. To strengthen the blog, I would combine the second and third paragraph - the second one shouldn't stand alone. Also, there are a couple of issues with fluidity - try reading it out loud to catch moments where your language choices might be repetitive or clunky. Finally, when you mention any research (see final paragraph) you should source it - even in a blog. Overall, it was a fun read!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nancy, I really liked your blog. I agree with you that there was a misconception about mid-life but I've noticed recently in the media that messages are appearing like "40 is the new 20" and things about being 50 and loving it. People like Ellen, Sophia Vegara, Cindy Crawford, are redefining what it means to be aging. I like how you (re)present this new idea of midlife. Good job!

    Don't feel like you have to reply to this comment. Just something I wanted to add.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I turned 52, I said it was the new 25--(52 backward.)

      Delete
  6. Hello Nancy! Your blog is intriguing and it was helpful that you tied it to the James Bond movie. I think that helped to make sense of a few of your key points throughout your blog. On a side note, I hope your family had a blast in Hawaii!

    I am going to restate something Theresa has already commented on, and I have wondered throughout the course of the semester. How do you define midlife? This last summer I was doing a triathlon and passed a man on a bike who was 83 years old...unbelievable! Talking with him after the race, I wonder if he would even consider himself to be older than I? Nonetheless, are their specific things that categorizes midlife? Do you have to have children for example?

    One other thing that I am interested in is the way you describe youth pushing older people out of positions. This is intriguing to me as it seems to repeat itself. In your opinion, what would this have looked like 50 years ago? Does this play a role in marital satisfaction for midlife? I wonder how job satisfaction plays a role here with what you have talked about.

    Good work on your blog, and I look forward to your response.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy, you also might find this intriguing. It has to do with working to peak in life at 65:
      http://storylineblog.com/2012/12/04/why-you-should-peak-at-65/

      Delete
    2. Hi Jared--Thanks for the link--Sounds good, I'll look it up. I defined the ages for midlife in my response to Teresa. Please read that. Also, no, you do not have to have children to be categorized as middle age, aka midlife. The other question you ask is good. Makes me think. What specific things categorize midlife, or define it? Age is a big indicator. In the majority of the studies I read this semester, researchers admitted that there is a gap in the literature on midlife. It has long been overlooked in research, but now the largest population group is moving into that phase and that is creating a demand to know more about what to expect in midlife.

      Yes,50 years ago midlife and retirement would have looked different. Life expectancy has increased over the past 50 years, so midlife 50 years ago would have been something like 30-35. Also, retirement was the normally the man as breadwinner finishing his working career. I'm not up to date on data from 50 years ago, but I know it was different than today. I'm not even sure what the age of retirement was 50 years ago. Good question.

      I really did not read anything on job satisfaction related to midlife marital satisfaction. That is an area I neglected. However, I did read about pre-retirement planning and retirement for midlife married couples. Articles said women and men have some similar reasons for choosing when to retire, but women also base their decision on family issues, such as children still in the home and/or caring for elderly parents. The articles also said that couples no longer just have one retirement decision to make, but two for dual-career couples.

      Hey,time up and I'm outta here. Merry Christmas.

      Delete
  7. Nancy, this was definitely your best blog as far as readability, enjoyability, and just general style. I wanted to see a few more specifics from the research, or some other concrete advice, but otherwise nice job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I was really excited when I got the idea to use the movie in my blog. And I even got a picture this week! I also felt like I was talking to myself with "Women, listen up! Communicate positively..." I needed this for me.

      I have learned a lot from this class about interpersonal relationships and also I've grown in my writing ability. Not perfect, but better than 1-2 years ago. Merry Christmas.

      Delete
    2. This is all I can ask for! "I have learned a lot from this class about interpersonal relationships and also I've grown in my writing ability."

      Delete
  8. Nancy,

    I was hooked by your James Bond reference! Very nicely done. Your blog has given me a new perspective on the years to come and an optomistic outlook that my midlife might be the time of my life. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jim--Yes, the best is yet to come!! But I think you are doing pretty great now!! Enjoy the journey. Merry Christmas.

      Delete
  9. Like everyone else--I love that you uses James Bond. I actually really like those movies, and it's fun to see how you can relate your research to a movie like that :) nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Nancy great tie in to JB,

    I am a huge fan but I personally did not approve of skyfall! He had no gadgets! and no new car! Only a lousy radio and the the old Aston Martin from the Rodger Moore days...and that farm house scene at the end just did not have the sophistication common to JB...

    Well besides that I think that you make awesome points in your blog by going against the status quo of mid life being consistently viewed as a lose-lose situation. I on the other hand view midlife as a time when you are finally on top of your game and the food chain and don't have to swim with the sharks anymore!

    Your blog has consistently backed this belief of mine each week and I will miss all your research on the topic. Great work and hope to keep in touch!

    ReplyDelete